<h1 style=""text-align:" center;"=""> Kaskaskia Bell
The only part of Illinois that lies on the west side of the Mississippi many years ago was an Island. Earth quakes and many floods no longer is it an Island. It remains part of Illinois.
1693 French who ruled the Mississippi River Valley for nearly one hundred years, named this Island Kaskaskia after an old Illinois Indian tribe. Many years French and Indians who lived there farmed and trapped furs, Kaskaskia thrived, shipping much of this bounty down the Mississippi to New Orleans and then to France.
On the east side of the Mississippi in the high bluffs, Kaskaskia built a fort over looking the town, the fort could see up and down the river offered protection for Kaskaskia.
For many years Kaskaskia was an important town, the saying was all roads lead to Kaskaskia. So important it became the first Capitol of Illinois.
The Kaskaskia curse, a young Indian who fell in love with a rich fur traders daughter, was denied his love by the girls rich father. Her father had him tied to a log and sent off down the Mississippi to his death. The young Indian swore a curse on Kaskaskia that it would be destroyed by flood and earth quake.
In the year 0f 1741 the French King Louis XV of France as a reward to Kaskaskia had a brass bell cast and shipped to America and up the Mississippi to Kaskaskia for their Catholic Church.
Maybe the story of the curse is true we will never know.
Kaskaskia is gone all that remains is a little brick Church and a small brick building, that houses the liberty Bell of the west. Older by eleven years than the Liberty Bell of America in the east. Behind the Bell is a painting of Kaskaskia keeping it company.
I have seen the Bell and the nearly deserted area that was once so important, Going there seeing what remains you can't help but have a feeling of its loss, and the curse so long ago.
Mervin H. Dochterman